Maine Medical Center
Release of Information Specialist
Maine Medical Center
Full-Time, Flexible Shift (As Needed)
Maine Medical Center, one of Maine’s premier employers, is currently seeking candidates for a Release of Information Specialist within their Health Information Management (HIM) department, located in Scarborough, ME.
Under general supervision and following prescribed procedures, the Release of Information Specialist releases information from the electronic medical records in response to properly authorized requests. This position will utilize multiple computer systems to process record requests for the hospital and the Maine Health practices. The Release of Information Specialist ensures medical information being sent is correct and according to established State and Federal Rules and Regulations. Professionalism and excellent customer Service skills are required for the Release of Information Specialist to answer phones calls, assist walk in customers with requests and serve as a support for other medical offices.
Additionally, the Release of Information Specialist is responsible to comply with Medical Staff bylaws and HIPAA Regulations. Work is generally performed independently and requires the ability to utilize and operate multiple computer systems and the ability to concentrate and pay close attention when assessing the request for the release of health information. Incumbent must maintain patient confidentiality in performance of duties at all times. Work will be performed and evaluated according the established policy and procedures and with demonstrated understanding of departmental procedures and general professional office practices. This position requires a professional working knowledge of internal and external customers and acquired knowledge of the medical record, and professional communication skills.
- Associate’s Degree in Health Information Management or related field
- 2 years’ experience in an acute care hospital setting or multiple doctors’ clinic
- 3-5 years’ proven experience with Release of Information in an acute care hospital setting or multiple doctors’ clinic may be substituted for a formal degree.
- Ability to work independently, problem solve and prioritize with minimal supervision and to manage multiple demands while supporting strong, positive customer service relationships under pressure and to provide instruction.
- Must have knowledge of various State and Federal Rules and Regulations related to Release of Information.
- Complete understanding of chart and information flow in health information management and clinical information systems, knowledge of health information practices and procedures.
- Must be detail-oriented and have effective problem-solving, verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to operate multiple Windows-based software applications, including word processing applications. (Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft office software products including the ability to format Excel spreadsheets, keyboarding, data entry).
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations to determine appropriate charges for release of medical record information.
You’ll love the comprehensive benefits that MMC offers – including pet insurance, cell phone discounts, tuition reimbursement, and our Employee Discount Program, “Perks Connect”.
To apply, please click here.
About Maine Medical Center:
Maine Medical Center is a complete healthcare resource for the people of greater Portland, the entire state of Maine and Northern New England. With a history dating back to 1864, Maine Medical Center is the state’s largest medical center and the flagship facility of MaineHealth, with 637 beds and more than 7,000 employees. In addition, we have achieved Magnet™ status in recognition of our commitment to the highest standards of nursing excellence. Maine Medical Center’s unique role as both a community hospital and a referral center requires an unparalleled depth and breadth of services, including the state’s only medical school, through a partnership with Tufts University School of Medicine, and a world-class biomedical research center, the Maine Medical Center Research Institute.
Inside and out, you’ll find what you’re looking for when you join Maine Medical Center. As the largest hospital in northern New England, MMC is committed to helping you grow professionally throughout your career. From tuition assistance and scholarships, to ongoing education, leadership training, mentoring and promotion opportunities, we offer the resources you need to achieve your career goals.
MaineHealth values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Federal and state laws prohibit discrimination in employment because of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.