Maine Medical Center
Inpatient Coder III
Maine Medical Center
40 hours/week, Weekend Shifts
REMOTE OPTION AVAILABLE AND SIGN ON BONUS!
Maine Medical Center is seeking an Inpatient Coder in Scarborough. This is the third level of a 4-tier career path. Under the general direction of the Inpatient Coding Manager or Director, this position is responsible for the accurate assignment of ICD-9-CM diagnostic and procedural codes (ICD-10-CM/PCS) for inpatient records; abstracting to determine accuracy and completeness of the inpatient record, utilizing the 3M Coding Reimbursement/Epic System to compile data and related work assigned. Coding staff in this position are able to code encounters of multiple specialties, as well as mentor and train other coding levels. This position is differentiated from the Coder II level by the skill and independence to handle complex inpatient coding scenarios. Data reported is used to meet licensure requirements, statistical purposes and reimbursement purposes.
- Associate’s degree in Health Information Management, and/or Bachelor’s degree in Health Information Management, or other science-based degree such as nursing preferred.
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Nurse (RN), Certified Inpatient Coder (CIC), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) or Certified Professional Coder (CPC) required.
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience as an inpatient coder at an acute care or academic teaching facility required or successful completion of inpatient coding apprenticeship program.
- Advanced coding skills and knowledge of revenue cycle, billing systems, Epic Electronic Health Record and 3M Encoder, ICD-10 training, Computer Assisted Coding software (CAC); effective communication to serve as a knowledge resource and mentor on coding and compliance issues.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialists (CDIS) and other healthcare professionals.
- Comprehensive knowledge of disease processes, clinical science, anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, pathology and laboratory medicine; knowledge of ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines, as well as ICD-10 training, for Coding and Reporting, AHA Coding Clinic and CMS regulations.
You’ll love the comprehensive benefits that MMC offers – including pet insurance, cell phone discounts, tuition reimbursement, and our Employee Discount Program, “Perks Connect.”
About Maine Medical Center:
Maine Medical Center is a complete healthcare resource for the people of greater Portland, the entire state of Maine and Northern New England. With a history dating back to 1864, Maine Medical Center is the state’s largest medical center and the flagship facility of MaineHealth, with 637 beds and more than 7,000 employees. In addition, we have achieved Magnet™ status in recognition of our commitment to the highest standards of nursing excellence. Maine Medical Center’s unique role as both a community hospital and a referral center requires an unparalleled depth and breadth of services, including the state’s only medical school, through a partnership with Tufts University School of Medicine, and a world-class biomedical research center, the Maine Medical Center Research Institute.
Inside and out, you’ll find what you’re looking for when you join Maine Medical Center. As the largest hospital in northern New England, MMC is committed to helping you grow professionally throughout your career. From tuition assistance and scholarships, to ongoing education, leadership training, mentoring and promotion opportunities, we offer the resources you need to achieve your career goals.
MaineHealth values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Federal and state laws prohibit discrimination in employment because of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.
To apply, please click here or visit www.careersatmainehealth.org.